Collaboration for Continuous Improvement
CCI is the Collaboration for Continuous Improvement.
In partnership with UFHR, UFIT, the COO and the Office of the CFO, several UF staff have been trained in business process improvement methodologies. This team is available to collaborate on projects within their units and across campus to facilitate efforts to save faculty and staff time, energy and resources. The CCI has been hard at work engaging and empowering staff to help identify and solve problems, improve efficiencies, enhance the customer experience and streamline processes. The CCI is managed through the Office of Continuous Improvement, led by Amy Haberman email@example.com.
2020 is underway with several improvement projects identified as priorities. The CCI has begun work reviewing the occupational medicine program, the budget process and software, and the clearance to hire process just to name a few.
In 2019, CCI worked to improve six major processes…
- Reducing the processing time associated with producing emergency payroll checks
- Reducing the lead time associated with hiring and paying foreign nationals
- Improving the timely collection for auxiliary billing
- Expanding the UF Alert program to UF Jacksonville
- Establishing clear and consistent FMLA guidelines and resources
- Creating one system of record in myUFL for the tracking and reporting of Fund 143 uses
- The emergency payroll check process has been improved from 18 hand-offs to just five and reduced processing time by one whole day (a 20-percent improvement).
- The lead time of foreign nationals receiving their first paychecks has been reduced from about 34 days to 20 days (46 percent sooner).
- The auxiliary billing processing time has decreased while accuracy has increased by 50 percent of Expense to Revenue journals.
- UF Alert is now available for students and employees from UF Jacksonville.
- UF has created resources for supervisors and employees regarding FMLA policies and processes.
- Fund 143 reporting is beta testing the project field ID, with a soft launch of the project field coming in January 2020. During the soft launch, the project ID field will be available and recommended before it is required later in 2020.
So far, about 25 different departments and nearly 100 employees have been engaged in CCI efforts.
Help Us Help You
The CCI is ready to assist your unit with analyzing and improving how it does business. When reviewing submissions, the team weighs the following factors:
- Cost or time savings of the submitted project
- Projected ease of implementation
- Stakeholder buy-in
- Risk mitigation
Do you know of a financial or administrative business process that could be improved? Please let us know.
Questions or feedback can be shared with firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 Program Participants
- Kenneth Allen, Business Affairs
- Gwynn Cadwallader, UF Human Resources
- Mikki Hall, UFIT
- Emily Moran, Finance & Accounting
- Shay Potts, UF Human Resources
- Amber Wuertz, UF Human Resources